1. What is an Accessory Dwelling Unit?

    The Ontario Building Code defines a Dwelling Unit as:

    A suite operated as a housekeeping unit, intended to be used by one or more persons and usually containing cooking, eating, living, sleeping and sanitary facilities.

    A dwelling unit is considered accessory when it is secondary to the primary residential dwelling on a property, often as a finished basement or addition to a home.

    2. What approvals are required for me to put an Accessory Dwelling Unit in my house?

    Provided your property meets all zoning requirements to permit an accessory dwelling unit, registration of the unit is required. This is done through the Town’s Building Services Department. Information on how to register your unit, including fees and Building and Fire Code requirements, can be found here: https://www.haltonhills.ca/BuildingPermits/pdf/Registration%20of%20Two-Unit%20Houses%20Guide%202018-07.pdf

    3. Why is it important for the Town to regulate these units?

    Accessory Dwelling Units help to increase the amount of rental units within a municipality while helping the property owner to increase their income. Where there is opportunity it is also important that Fire and Building Codes are followed in the creation and operation of these units to ensure the safety of both tenant and landlord.